Saturday, March 19, 2011

Con Lágrimas Y Sonrisas

Hey everyone! This time it's Amanda's turn! So please excuse any nonsense that might show up, if this were a letter it would be covered in tear drops.
The title for this particular entry, which translates to "with tears and smiles" describes exactly what's going on with my face as I sit here and type. The group just finished meeting with the Vargas family and some of the youth with whom we have been spending our time here. I can honestly say that this is one of the most difficult goodbyes I have ever had to say...and I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the same for the rest of the group. Especially since we've been saying our goodbyes since 8pm local time...its now 4 hours later and the last of the students are still standing in the yard; about to walk off of the property, but never out of our hearts.
Yesterday was a bit of fantasy, as we all tried to ignore the fact that time is barreling down on us like a speeding freight train. We started out our day with a trip to the old school; a property which has been unusable as a school since the flooding of a nearby lake which covered the area in about 4 feet of water. The views there are absolutely gorgeous, with the lake in the background, cattle grazing in a nearby field and an immense array of banana and mango trees. We got to see the buildings in which Henry started his ministry and the  results of the flooding. I'm sure the majority of those reading this will be able to see the hundreds of photos we all took and get an idea of just how beautiful this place is, even after the devastation of a flood!
At night we went back to the parking lot in the Vargas' neighborhood. We sang more songs with the kids  and watched "Left Behind", a movie about the rapture; which is a totally different experience when it's entirely in spanish and without subtitles!

Today was an absolute dream...We woke up at the ungodly hour of 5 am to go to a prayer service at the school. It was so refreshing to see some of the kids bring their parents. I was so blessed by one girl in particular. Her name is Fabiana, she is a gorgeous 12 year old who has an amazing gift for singing. For those of you who don't know me, I am absolutely in love with music and take any chance I get to sing. On our first night here, Dave and I lead the kids in a worship song and Fabiana also sang for the group. The next day Henry asked if I wanted to sing a song with her and, of course, I said "ABSOLUTELY!!!" So, after practicing with her over the past few days, we sang a spanish/english combination of "Lord You Are Good"for the whole group. She arranged the whole combination by herself, and I simply followed along with it. The love for singing she showed reminded me how important our gifts are and how much we should value them.

The rest of the day was spent in the car...nothing fun, just your typical stop to a volcano filled with water and the market....ok, so maybe I'm being entirely sarcastic. It was the best day EVER. If it wasn't for the knowledge that it was our last real day here, it would have been flawless. The view was absolutely breathtaking. We swam in the volcano while waiting for lunch and ate right along the waterfront! After some sunbathing and a little more time in the water, we headed off to the market. Where we haggled, bargained, and spent our remaining Cordobas like they were going out of style.
After stopping at a delicious restaurant in the city, we headed back to the house. The majority of the group went to the local tienda for one last helado (ice cream) and returned to the house for our final goodbye. Which is where todays blog began.

I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt that this week has been one out of the storybooks. We found out that our trip has been the little push necessary for the students to see God moving in their midst. The things that have happened during this week have shown all of us just how much our actions and demonstrations of God's love are capable of affecting those around us.
I don't think I have ever cried so much...scratch that, I have never in my life cried this much over leaving a group of people I just met a week ago. Nicaragua tiene un lugar especial in mi corazon. "Nicaragua has a special place in my heart." And I wholeheartedly plan on returning as soon as possible, as do the majority of us in the group. As I told everyone here during our meeting, I feel like a little piece of home will always be missing for me because I have felt so at home here.
The people we met this week have become our new family of sorts, and what a family it's turned out to be! Dios bendiga Nicagraua! "God bless Nicaragua!"
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment